Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hummingbirds

While at the in-laws this last weekend, we had a merry time watching the "flock" of hummingbirds competing for time at the feeders. They were a beautiful bunch of tiny birds, each whirring with the precision of a fine-tuned timepiece.

I noticed that they were very combative with each other. There were a total of 8 that we could identify. All 8 would rest in the oaks surrounding the back porch, until one of them would make a surprise dart at the feeders. Immediately, 2 or 3 of the others would start dogfights, attacking the one bird that dared to sip the delicious nectar.

This breach of restful unity evidently sounded a clarion call for all out warfare, so that all 8 birds became engaged in a struggle to control the feeder in question. During the fight, none of the 8 would actually succeed in taking a drink.

Keep in mind that there were 2 separate feeders, each with 4 openings to drink. The aerial combat, involving all 8 birds, concentrated on one specific feeder, leaving the other open for use.

I realized how symbolic this Lilliputian war was. How often we fight over God's "will" or determining the propriety of God's love for others who disagree with us, all the while ignoring the open spots at the table that would easily welcome each of us, differences and all.

Here's to taking a spot and sipping God's nectar, focusing on Him instead of the "others".

4 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger dwg said...

insightful. do you mind if I hyperlink this blog to one of my future blogs? . . . as well as linking your blog to my blogsite?

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger More Questions Than Answers said...

Weldon,

I'm not sure how to email back to you, but if you read this, then yes, please feel free to hyperlink this blog as well as linking in on your blogsite.

Glad that you found it of interest.

Mind if I add your blog to my list? I've found several of your notes really helpful and in case anyone stops by here, would sincerely recommend them on to your site.

"slow dance" in particular was nice. Reminded me of both an approach to life that I'm experiencing lately and the joys of a waltz with a special lady (believe it or not) while attending Baylor.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger dwg said...

thanks. yes you may link my blog on your blog. i did some time at baylor as well at truett seminary. i look forward to your future blog thoughts. hummingbirds are incredible and I guess they have incredibly small brains that are not able to comprehend the idea of abundance, the same as incredible creations in the form of humans that have incredibly small mind and are not able to imagine and share in the great grace and open love of God for all.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Yeah, squabbling and warring instead of just relaxing and eating. How silly those humans - er, I mean birds - are!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home